Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I'm Everything I Ever Hated

Well, not really, but I came to an unfortunate revelation today. As I've mentioned before, while I probably should have veered in an even more practical direction in college, I at least graduated with a business/economics degree for which there was some demand. This was by design. I was at least wise enough to take the sound advice I received to stay away from the "fluff" majors.

What does this have to do with my recent revelation? Well, today I realized I now hold a dreaded Liberal Arts degree. Think about it, that's all the J.D. is once you get away from the law. Nobody cares if you know what the Rule Against Perpetuities is. Heck, the arrogant BarBri lecturer from the MBE Advantage (or whatever it was called) videos said we could just skip any multiple choice questions on it. Congratulations, if you memorized all of exceptions to hearsay rule. That and the ability to stand and a smile will get you a job as a Wal-Mart greeter. You can deliver a knockout appellate court rebuttal, you say? Great. I'm sure your future cubicle mates will be really impressed.

As most people who majored in the arts and social sciences (aside from economics) can probably tell you, whatever knowledge they gleaned from their majors, it only had limited marketability. Just as above mentioned legal skills are of little use in most professions, few employers are looking for an expert on the political philosophy of the Renaissance period or somebody who can provide a feminist critique of Jane Austen.

Liberal arts/social science majors are usually forced to articulate the broad skills they obtained from their ill considered choice of a major. Sound familiar? While law schools may claim that graduates can market their knowledge of the legislative process and government to land policy jobs, can't political science majors do the same? What about the great writing skills we developed? Something tells me that English majors might also possess that skill. How about analytical reasoning? Sorry, philosophy majors (not to mention econ and math majors) have that covered as well.

Look in the mirror, my fellow J.D.'s and you'll see a glorified Women's Studies major. (Of course with an extra degree that makes us "overqualified" for many positions.)

Take heart, though. While liberal arts B.A.'s and J.D.'s will both likely end up delivering pizzas, it will be those lowly college grads who will be stuck working for local shops. Career services once let me know that Papa John's and Domino's look favorably upon a J.D., so it looks we've got the inside track to BIGPIZZA.

5 comments:

  1. Please tell me you were joking about the CDO advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was just an attempt to lampoon CDO's ability to always spin the job market regardless of how bleak it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the animals who run law schools are pleased with the human destruction they have wrought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I lolled. I just might start describing my degree as an offshoot of Women's Studies. (Nice blog btw. First time reader I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. On behalf of my "impractical" liberal arts friends who now have six-figure jobs as museum directors, television writers, political consultants and film directors, let me just say this: Maybe being "practical" wasn't so practical.

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Analytics