Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Job Search Update

Hi, everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Like always, I have a bunch of partially completed feature pieces sitting around in the queue. As many of you know, trying to find a job can itself be a full time task.

I don't want to go too long without a new blog post, so let me update you on my job search. With many of my earlier avenues shut down, I'm currently only pursuing the following paths (excluding sending my resume to various on-line jobs postings).

  1. I actually received another bite (re: resume) this week. Unfortunately, it's only a short term contract position and the followup I received from the consulting firm wasn't to schedule an interview, but to note their interest in my application and to find out my availability and salary requirements - let's just say, at this point, I'd be wiling to look the other way on a violation of minimum wage laws.

    The good news is that at least somebody bothered to read my resume and initially found me to be a good fit for the position. Also, it actually is a substantive position that could add some much needed recent business experience to my resume for when I return to the full time job search (should I get the position).

  2. A friend of mine works (in a fairly senior position) for a software company. He has shown my resume to HR and hopefully can point me to a position for which I can apply. Like many companies, they do have a preference for recent grads for entry level jobs, but they are willing to consider "non-traditional" candidates. My friend got his job (albeit during better times) after being out of school for a while. With any luck, having somebody on the inside working for me could help me land an interview and perhaps eventually a job.

  3. There's still the possibility of some of the phantom document review work becoming available. I can't believe things are so bad that entry level document review work is only a possibility.

  4. I have registered for a couple career fairs next month. I was going to go to one last month, but my ill-fated interview was scheduled on the same day. I haven't been to a career fair for a while. I guess the benefit is that I can at least speak with potential employers directly. I'll be sure to create a blog post detailing my experience at the job fairs.

  5. I have been considering contacting my former employer to see if I could get some contacts or advice for my job search. I've hesitated to do this because, at this point, I don't really want to move (and my former employer is in another region of the country). The president of the company probably knows some people with whom I can speak where I currently live. That said, if I become desperate enough that I'd be willing to move, I would like to have the opportunity to lean on him for even better contacts in his city. I don't know if he'd appreciate being solicited twice with similar requests.
Also, as a bonus here's a depressing breakdown of the responses I've received to my applications. I've actually lost count of the number of applications I've submitted, so I'm going to err on the conservative side. I suspect the numbers are actually much worse.

Number of resumes/applications submitted: 50
Number of responses received*: 10
Number of positive responses**: 3
Number of interviews : 2
Number of offers: 0

Having a Juris Doctorate degree: Priceless...oh, I mean Worthless

* This includes offers for interviews, followups by actual humans, and rejection notices. This excludes immediate, automated acknowledgments.

** 1 request for more information; 1 general interview for legal temp work; 1 actual interview for a full time position

9 comments:

  1. 4% chance of being interviewed. Don't despair, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Career fairs, lol! I went to one last month and it was absolutely pathetic. There was nothing there but insurance and financial services MLM type scams. The only real employer was the local cable company, seeking blue collar labor and an IT business seeking people with solid computer science backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5:11 - Nice. At least I should be able to get a funny blog post out of it. That reminds me, I really should finish that post about those commission only schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "commission only schemes" It might be possible for you to break into Sales with "Commission only." They generally start newbies that way. But be advised, "commission only" is the type of work most people went into Law to avoid. It is grueling both mentally and physically. IT kills relationships. It forces you to take a job beyond 9 to 5. At least when you get the money; you know you earned it and it was in no way a gift or favor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cringed when I read that you are going to a career fair. . . prepare to be depressed! It sounds like you have some positive nibbles out there though so good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ABA has some suggestions for you job search. How are your twisting skills?

    http://whoneedslawyers.com/?p=319

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why don't you go to med school or something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been away for a couple of months... sorry to see you still haven't found decent (any?) employement.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how many people I come across in person and via the web who are having issues finding a position with their JD. I am a graduate of Hofstra University School of Law and was admitted to the New York State Bar.

    Instead of writing a long bio, I will try and remain brief. What I have learned after receiving the JD and passing the bar is that I wish that I can get my money back. The legal field is so damn saturated with attorneys that unless you are within the top percentage of graduating students or your mommy and daddy have a golden paved road ahead for your success, good luck in your endeavors.

    Aside from some typical responses from law firms claiming that they only hire top grads or those with experience under their belt, you also will have the headaches o say your loan providers, such as Sallie Mae, the largest crooked piece of shit loan provider in existence knocking at your door should you miss a payment.

    In re to finding positions outside law practice, you're going to need a priest, holy water, and rosary beads. Amazingly, when I was in law school there was soo much talk about how a JD can be used to transfer in other fields, such as Regulatory Affairs, Procurement, Public Affairs, Media Relations, etc. Think again! Most likely, unless it's an entry level position with a recommendation, you are not going to have much luck. Most companies posting such positions scoff at the idea that a $100k degree would substitute for even two years required experience. They also dislike taking chances with people who have JD's because we either will be demanding more pay or some jerkoff who has a lesser degree and knows someone in the office is more of a perfect match.

    I wish to God I could trade in this piece of shit degree and pursue another life. Unfortunately, it hangs on my wall like a priceless piece of toilet paper never letting me forget a mistake I made achieving it many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Analytics